Friday, November 14, 2008

Thymus Lives

Post-op, I forgot to ask whether all or just part of Wren's thymus was removed. Thymus removal is necessary to access the heart. In children under-3 the thymus contributes T-cells but shrinks from a large organ to a very tiny one in an older toddler. Its removal is one of those things that surgeons and cardiologists generally dismiss as inconsequential but parents, and some recent studies, associate with lowered immunity in their heart kids.

I am pleased Wren has had the benefits of his thymus for so long but wasn't happy about it going away so I am happy to report that when the nurse looked up the OR notes for me it said "sub-total" removal of thymus.

That means there is still a bit left!

We are all well this morning. Mum arrived last night and we ate late so I am a bit extra tired this morning. Its supposed to be a hot day but not yet. The moon was full in the dark when I left and I was concerned to see a crumpled bicycle on the road on the way in. I checked but there wasn't anyone around. I had been thinking of cycling without a light and felt vindicated in taking the car.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Hi Shannon

Glad your Mum has arrived! She gave me your blog details before she left Aus and we have been following Wren's amazing journey ever since. Didn't want to intrude before but we are so pleased for you all about Wren's progress - you have all had such a amazing journey. We are cheering for Wren from half a world away!

With love to you all

Carolyn and Trevor