Saturday, November 29, 2008

Quick little Echo

Wren had a fever 3 days ago and still had one last night. It was never high - at most 100.6 - and he said he had a sore tummy so I expected it to be a virus. Anyway, since he was still getting this fever Jenny called us in to Cardiology Clinic. Wren had a quick echo (was very good) and Dr Olson examined his scar.

The news was good. His incision is healing nicely and his echo showed the pericardial effusion had gone. There was no fluid around his heart or lungs. Yay!

He is now napping.

My only complaint is that he is waking at an unholy hour. For the last 4 mornings wakeup has been at 4.15am, 5.08am, 5.00am and 4.20am this morning. I am totally wasted and using all his naptime sleeping.

Mum has been waking with us and is wandering around with bags under her eyes and falling asleep whenever we go out in the car. A couple of days ago she fell asleep playing with Wren on the couch.

I don't know why he is waking completely so early but I wish he would not.

He still shows signs of anxiety. He fears being undressed, is very cranky about getting his way (probably because he has had so many people waiting on him hand and foot during surgery and recovery) and has not been left to fuss or cry at night (again, due to cardiac concerns and empathy post-surgery). At times, I call him a tyrant and plot his overthrow into the realm of healthy baby. He does not like me to be distracted and tells me what to do "NOW!"

Broken Peni
Wren calls his penis a "pe-nee." During diaper change he told me that "Wren has pe-nee" and "Frost has pee-nee" and "Daddy has pee-nee" and "Granny has pee-nee" but "Mummy has no pee-nee."

When I asked him why Mummy has no pee-nee he said "Mummy broke pee-nee." So I am Shannon of the broken-penis.

Frost and the Big Word
At breakfast, Mum asked after Laine and Nate - our old preschool friends who moved from Wedgwood to Norway. I mentioned that they had visited over summer and Nate's Dad had had a heart attack in the gym but was very lucky because "they had one of those machines that goes zap zap" [I was miming because in the fog of sleep deprivation I can't remember big words].

"A defibrillator?" asked Frost.
I snorted in my food.
"Yes," I said. "How do you know that word?"
"I saw one on the Simpson's" said Frost, "and also at Camp Orkila. They had a picture of a broken heart and underneath there was the machine and it said DE-FIB-RILL-A-TOR."
"Oh" I said, still laughing.
Frost smiled, pleased at the effect of his big word. "On the Simpsons they have electrocuting irons," he added.

4 comments:

Heather Jandusay said...

Frost never ceases to amaze me with his advanced vocabulary skills! I don't think I can say that word properly myself. Hope that Wrens fever subsides soon, glad it isn't anything serious. I also took your "Day of Listening" advice and asked my dad about his most memorable Thanksgiving, where he told the story of his dog dragging the turkey carcass in from the trash and racing through the house with it. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!

Gina and the Gang said...

I am so glad the perfusions are gone!! I am learning that they can take a long time, as with Drew. So bummed for you that he is waking so early, that is not fun, especially since now it's dark at those hours! As for his pe-nee, that is a hilarious story. Casey gets upset when his pe-nee gets straight, and won't listen to him!!

The Portas said...

The pee-nee story is just too cute. :) How funny.

YAY for disappearing effusions! This is awesome news. I hope the fevers are under control. It certainly is no fun wondering and worrying about temperatures.

Looks like you have two smart little boys on your hands. What a fun house yours will be! xoxxo

Wyndi said...

wonderful news!