Thursday, November 13, 2008

Packing List for Hospital & Stanford College Fund?

I have been riding the bicycle too and from the hospital today. It is a brilliant blue-skied afternoon with hundreds of students out on their bicycles. The lime tree has fruit on it and the tomatoes are still ripening in the garden. Its a very beautiful time of year and hot, despite the autumn colours and other signs of fall.

On the way home I was plotting about who I can send to Stanford. I know that advocacy is important for teenagers and its a way off for Frost but perhaps we better get his college fund started. I am all for sending him to Stanford. Then there is my sister in Australia. She is a very bright young thing and mature for her age. I can see her at Stanford doing medicine although it might be difficult for her to get into a medical program in South Africa due to the affirmative action policy to meet the needs of people of color who were excluded under apartheid. I shall have to plot on that count as well.

Even if I can't be a Stanford Graduate, I shall be one by proxy!

And I am going to buy a mug :)

Meanwhile, I was thinking about the objects that are most useful during our stay. Here they are:

1) A book you really like reading.
2) A cellphone.
3) A small portable laptop (my 17" is too heavy).
4) Transport (bicycle or car).
5) Layers with pockets (sweater or vest because hospital rooms vary so much).
6) Tape. I have used my tape many times to stick up things at Wren's bedside.
7) A stack of family photos. Wren returns again and again to look at pictures of him and the family doing things he loves.
8) A phone list or phone numbers in your phone.
9) A very small camera (my brother gave me his old tiny one and I would not have any of these pictures without it.)
10) A pen and notepad. To job questions and notes about rounds.
11) A decision to disregard for many small amounts of money (you can't feel guilty about buying carrot cake when you have been on your feet for 8 hours and are chewing off your fingernails.)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Matthew's applying to Stanford...

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Mike always had a notepad and pen in his pocket and documented everything....

I think at the price Stanford charges us for these heart surgeries... we should get a HUGE discount on sending them to college there! Our boys can be heart surgeons someday.

Our insurance PAID over 1.7 million to Stanford in less than one year.