Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Monday Morning - more information

I arrived at the CVICU around 6am and found Wren waking up. He had received Ativan half an hour earlier when he woke and was distressed (I need to get in there earlier tomorrow but thought he would sleep longer since he went to sleep at 10.45pm).

He had a good night and was relaxed.

The unit is very busy this morning. There is a new case transferring in after lunch, a surgery scheduled and lots of rounds. I met the surgical fellow who was incredulous at the LAP numbers and ordered an echo. Apparently, Dr Hanley expects Wren's LAP to be good and stable in the 15-18 range.

I asked what the echo showed but they had not had time to read it (I think they want to talk about it before they get "the story" for the parents). The only things I overheard mentioned were that cardiac function was good, they could see no effusion to account for the low figures but that they could not visualize the tip of the line.

It is coming out this morning.

The cardiology attending - Dr Wright - said that there were not other methods to confirm LAPs but that they feel that since this X-ray is so much improved (now clear rather than fuzzy) and his pressures are stable - they expect the LAPS to have improved. Just not that much!

I shall head back after breakfast and hope to be there for the LA line removal. A surgery fellow will be there and they have blood on hand by his bed in case it causes bleeding or complications.

2 comments:

The Portas said...

Praying for all good news and some progress! Hang in there, your little boy is doing great. oxxo

Unknown said...

Glad to have your vividly written posts, Shannon. Wren is blessed to have you two advocating and nurturing. I don't understand the LAPS but I hope they go up and they can tell you something about it. All my best--Signe