Friday, November 14, 2008

Joyful urination

This recovery stuff can drive you crazy. Today, Wren has been happy and there was lots of progress [pacer wires out. Last IV out] but there are still issues. The main one is Wren's rising anxiety about any contact with doctors and nurses. When someone comes to examine him, he flinches and cries. He says "No" and pushes their hands away. Sometimes I can distract him but if its anything to do with tape or stickers he is very afraid.

I sometimes think that the tape they stick to the kids and then wrench off (leaving red welts) is worse than the pokes. The blood pressure monitor is also a great trauma.

Thankfully, we are still on track for discharge tomorrow. The time of 10am has been mentioned!

I think the only obvious hurdle is Wren's belly. Although the chest tube has been removed his left lower abdomen is still very swollen. Also, today he failed to pass the lasix-pee-a-gallon test. He received his usual dose but didn't pee. The nurse noticed he hasn't pee'ed much during the day and certainly less than he usually does. She said not to make an issue about it because "sometimes the kids hold on because its the thing they can control. The more fuss we make about it the more he knows something is going on." Now, I am not sure Wren is holding on out of anxious control, but I want him to pee. Its one of those humps of anxiety from which I would rise in hallelujahs for a poop and a bit of urination.

Anyway, Wren recently made his first pee since afternoon and it was an average one. I am relieved but want more. I want waterfalls. I want a generous stinky diaper. Oh, the point this crazy business brings me to.

5 comments:

Heather Jandusay said...

C'mon Wren, just let out a big stinky one... We will all be so proud!!

Shannon said...

Well, we have a poop! We need a bit more pee. Our night nurse, Hillary, says that it can take a few days for the transition from IV lasix to oral lasix. Today was Wren's first day on oral lasix.

I have just put him to bed with his lasix, tylenol, curious george and blankie. He asked for an extra kiss. He is now rolling around detaching his leads. I hope he sleeps soon so I can head home for pizza.

Gina and the Gang said...

Ahhh, remembering the days when I would wait on pins and needles for a dirty diaper!! Good job Wren, way to "keep things moving!". I can't believe you will be out of there tomorrow! That is amazing. And yes, the tape is the worst part of it all. For some reason, it's what the kids remember, maybe because they can see it, and understand exactly what it is. A needle in their arm is a bit abstract for them to realize. Casey wouldn't let us take the tape off from his cath for a week after we were home!

Unknown said...

Your family just amazes me, Shannon. I think Wren inherited his strength from you. I know what you mean by omens, so, all I'm going to say is, keep up the good work, Wren! I'm thinking of you all and praying for little Wren down here.

Wyndi said...

way to go wren!!Pee little guy pee! Ah! counting diapers! We used a dry erase board and tally marks which someone once used a permanent marker to mark on and to this day we have diaper counting flash backs looking at the board!
Wwe are hoping for a restful night for you all and more good updates have the time! I think you will be busy busy busy :) sending our love! wyndi stven and izzy