Monday, November 10, 2008

Honorary Jewess

The home we are staying is belongs to a Jewish family. I just wanted to post for my Jewish friends to say I feel like an honorary Jewess down here. The car we drive has Jews for Obama bumper stickers on and another that says Mentshes in the Trenches. In the bathroom I read Jewish Living magazine and battle the difficulties of intra-faith marriages such as those between Asheknazi and Sephardic, or those who are Secular vs Religious and may have different plans on Shabbat.

I am learning about the work of the Jewish World Service and am careful to recycle the old newspapers.

I wash and put away the beautiful mug with Hebrew inscriptions and we make its simple to keep kosher in the kitchen by avoiding meat and just using the dairy cookware and cutlery.

The other night we googled the various Kosher symbols on the food we bought to check there wasn't anything naughty in any of them.

Of course, we are missing our Jewish genealogy but if I close my eyes I enjoy being a member of the Jewish community committed to social justice.

2 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Obama for President....

hum....

tamusana said...

*chuckle* - I'm finding it rather amusing to imagine you living a far more Jewish life--for the moment--than I do. Although according to Jewish law my boys are Jewish, they don't get much reinforcement of that here in Geneva. I barely even manage to acknowledge the major holidays: Garrett's totally areligious (he takes an anthropological approach), we're not part of any Jewish community, and the one family we did celebrate holidays with has just moved to Israel. My years at Sharonah primary school didn't leave much of a mark.

Thrilled to hear that the doctors say that Wren is doing well. I'm in awe of you and your fellow "heart moms".... you remind the rest of us how privileged we are not to be well versed in advanced paediatric cardiology lingo.

love
Tam