Monday, November 10, 2008

An Excellent Night

I arrived just as Wren was waking up and had been calling "Mama". He was decannulated and had drunk breastmilk through a straw overnight after refusing a bottle.

While I was there, the fellow came around and ordered his only medication (by drip) - Milrinone (sp) - turned off. His LAPs were low overnight - around 17 but down to 15 in the morning.

When I came in, Wren was very upset and demanding "milk". This is his usual habit at home and so I got out the straw and offered him a glass of expressed breast-milk which he usually gets fresh from the 'mommy-cow' in the morning. He pushed it away, splashing all over.

So, as his alarms were wringing and the nurse was busy with her other patient, I shifted him towards me and let him nurse at the side of the bed while standing on tippy toes. The nurse said she had never seen that before but it worked!

His LAPs went down to 12 and he was very very content. After nursing BOTH sides we watched some TV, read a few books, blew bubbles and played with elephant and hedgehog puppet.

After an hour he became agitated and I suggested he nap. It took only singing and patting and he fell asleep. I need to get back soon for rounds. Its shift change and we have a nurse named Dawn.

4 comments:

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Ah.. Matthew seems to go down much better to some singing and patting on the bum.

Josie said...

It must have been so soothing for Wren to be able to nurse. That was definitely a supermom move!

We're thinking about you all the time. So glad the news this morning seems encouraging!

Heather Jandusay said...

That's awesome... Mommy is the best medicine!!

Laura said...

Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts. Glad you are seeing more of Wren's personality showing through. I'm sure that can be fabulous and challenging at the same time. I have a two year old son so I completely get it! :) Hope you have a quiet day and that Wren continues to make slow and steady progress.