Monday, November 24, 2008

Dialogues with Wren and Frost

The kids are both coming up with odd phrases lately. I may have written about this already, but in the mornings [and Wren has been waking extremely early since returning from CA - like 5am most days] I tell Wren not to make noise in his room because "Frost is sleeping 'in there'". I point to the shared wall of his and Frost's room.

Wren looks at the wall with concern and says "Frost is IN there. Frost, come out! Come out Frost!"

In California, there was that funny dialogue after we saw a statue of the buddha. Why does Daddy have no hair? According to Wren, "Daddy's hair NOT WORKING".

Wren has started to adopt that annoying habit [of Frost's] of calling me "Shannon" as an imperative. If he really wants my attention he gets the same tone of voice as Frost and shouts "SHANNON, Mummy, SHANNON" I am trying to ignore it and complained about it yesterday. Frost said "Wren is just being mature." I guess he thinks he is mature at 7, right?

Wren is at that stage of speaking about himself in the third person. Heather reported a very sweet conversation she had with Wren one morning. He had made something out of playdough and came to show it to her:

Wren: Look what Wren made!
Heather: Oh, nice! What is it?
Wren: Up-down.
Heather: I like your up-down.
Wren: WREN MADE IT! [smiling proudly]

HE also says things like:
W: "What is it that you give Wren?"
Me: Its an Okapi.
W: Wren HAS it.

Wren is quite aware of himself these days and can report that he is scared, cold and even tired. This morning, waking at 5.08am, he demanded I turn on the light - screaming and kicking on the floor - I told him I would do it if he stopped yelling. He stopped and I turned it on. Even with the light on he remained on the floor so the two of us lay there looking at each other (I was in my blanket). After a while he said "Very Tired." "Yes", I told him "You woke up too early." He thought about that for a little while and then re-iterated "Wren woke up toooo erleeee."

I remain hopeful of better sleep as the interval post-surgery lengthens and as he becomes more attached to Snuggle Bunny. Snuggle bunny was one of those gifts we have so appreciated and as Frost's sleep improved after he became attached to his blankie (mimi) I hope Wren can sleep longer and be more secure with bunny. At nap today he asked for Bunny and when I went in to sing to help him get to sleep he quickly cuddled bunny and shut his eyes.

That is what I need to do now. The eyes bit, not the bunny. My dialogues with Frost will have to wait till next post.
Shannon, Mummy, Shannon!

3 comments:

The Portas said...

Ahhh, sounds like we are all in need of some good sleep! Snuggle bunny, how cute. Elijah loves his blankie and I really do think it helps him sleep.

We will pray for peace and rest for all of you! xoxo

Sasha said...

Sleep well little Wren!

Martin Walsh said...

Your father's memories must be fascinating and a treasure for your family. I've just been transcribing some of his correspondence (including leopard permits) in the Zanzibar National Archives!
(Please do get in touch if you'd like to swap stories.)

http://zanzibarleopard.blogspot.com/