Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Murder of Crows & no RMH

While Wren was napping this afternoon the house was besieged by crows. There were about 100 of them. They perched on the wires facing our house, filled the cedars to either side of us and watched us from the tall trees across the road. I cannot recall the correct word for a crow noise but it was not just cawing. It was shrieking and rasping and kwarking.

Their complaint?

Our fake crow Halloween decoration had fallen to the ground overnight and looked injured or dead. Some feathers had come off and a pinkish foam was revealed.

I went out (into the hubub) and brought it inside. They investigated then slowly dispersed. We now have a regular number of crows hanging about.

I also received a call from Ronald McDonald House to say that the big Mac did not have space for us during our stay. They have referred us to another neighborhood Inn at a discounted rate. We shall see and compare.

4 comments:

tamusana said...

Sorry to hear about RMH. What is your plan (if their recommended discount inn doesn't pan out)?

Hello to your mom! Great that she'll be there with you.

I can't even begin to comment on the crows... a bit too creepy for me. Last year we had a bat flying through our house. 100 crows is creepier, mean birds that they are.

Stay well! - Tam

Andrea said...

Hi Shannon,
I believe there are DVD players in all the rooms. They have a neat library of DVDs too and people came by each night to see what we wanted to borrow. I also learned that most of the rooms (not all) have fancy TVs with movies available and video games. What else? Oh, you can write in anything you like on Wren's menu, not just the choices they give you each day and they will try to accommodate you. As for hotel rooms, we were able to get a discounted rate at a place nearby for $79 I think. The social worker should be able to help you with that. I'll be thinking of you guys! Let me know if there's anything else you need. Maybe we can come visit once Wren is feeling more like himself after surgery.

Shannon said...

Hi Andrea
Thanks for the info. I called and spoke to a nurse who said that some rooms had VHS but didn't mention the library. I was wondering whether to bring our own but that is far easier.

Our hotel is much more pricey than that ($109 per night!!) but it has a shuttle and we will not have a car down there so that will be important. The cheaper hotels are quite a bit further out and the cars are about $50 a day so the price isn't really worth it.

I will be asking the social worker for advice when Mum and Frost join us because we can't all fit in our room.

Andrea said...

I didn't think of the car problem. Our hotel was farther away, but we had our car to drive in. The social worker should be able to get a second room for family that comes to visit at the same discounted rate. We had to get extra rooms a couple of times. You guy are in my thoughts!