Monday, October 20, 2008

If an asteroid struck earth would Wren's surgery be delayed?

I didn't get a good sleep last night. Wren woke at 2.30pm and his desire for 'milk' borders on pugnacious. I have been trying to wean him from his multiple night nursing so I let him cry a while. Eventually, he became hysterical and cried "Mummy come back! Mummy gone out," so I rushed in to console him. He was live wired and hiccoughing and it took half an hour to get him back to sleep (without nursing) then he woke when I tried to creep out. I caved after an hour and a quarter and nursed him to sleep.

For the final hour of sleep I had vivid dreams.

We were in Stanford and Dr Hanley and his team of cardiologists was trying to speak with us about Wren's case the following day. The problem was that I was like one of those old people in a recliner with a tartan blanket over my legs and I kept falling asleep while he was talking. Finally, I decided that it would be okay to fall asleep and let them handle everything.

But I was woken from my sleep, still in the hospital, by a giant explosion in the sky.

I looked up and a huge black cloud was barreling outwards expelling pieces of things from space. There was an ironing board, pieces of a plane, ropes, buildings - all exploding outwards at 30 000 feet. In retrospect it was an image from a show called Time Warp in which we watched men blending up cellphones in slow motion.

After the first explosion there was a period in which it became like a firework display with triangles of blue lights moving in slow arcs. I thought "ah, its an alien invasion."

Everyone started running to hide from the debris that fell from space. It was raining huge raindrops of molten stone and the sky was cut up by lines of billowing black clouds and chunks of cars thudded down.

Eventually, things quieted down and nobody nearby was injured. Crowds of people gathered in the hospital room and discussed what it was. Someone asked whether it was Aliens (which is what I thought) but a doctor said he had received word from NASA that earth had been hit by a huge asteroid and "they are sending a fleet of jumbo jets into the cloud to see what's in there."

I just thought "F*ck. Will Wren get his surgery tomorrow?"

1 comment:

Wyndi said...

do yo think the weather during his birth and 1st surgery could be affecting your dreams just a little? no power and all. I hope that you are able to get some restful sleep I can begin to explain the dreams that flooded my head during izzy's surgery. I hope that you have fond some good books and maybe even have number puzzles.. totally mindless tasks but is distracting an distracting is good when your head can't stop thinking right. It sounds like you will have visitors and support from heart families in CA which sounds good. hope they will be able to stop by and say hello and offer some help or coffee:)
we have the same 5 day wait for culture well we are hoping for 5 days so it will be a negative results. Her fever really spiked today and it is hard not knowing what is wrong makes me worry more than if she had a fever and a sore throat too much room for worry when it is unknown. i hope that my fear is an overreaction to lack of sleep and exercise. sorry for rambling i better go get some sleep while is is sleeping~wyndi