Thursday, September 18, 2008

There is no GOOD option

... other than saving the valve. That was the latest from yet another conversation with Dr Lewin. Every other option is really a PLAN Z. Coumadin - "we can do it but its not desirable" Bio-prosthetic - "Well, we have to defer to the surgeon on that because its a technical consideration" and Ross-Kono - well you know the drill there.

I am feeling frustrated and discouraged. I am a hairs breath away (24 hours and two more consults away?) from requesting yet another opinion. I am just not feeling satisfied that we have the right option yet.

After speaking with Dr L today I cannot see a good way forward IF the valve is not salvageable. Plus, hearing again about the difference of opinion about whether the Modified-Kono will work (rather than leading to a recurrence and re-operation) I know I will be fearful whatever outcome.

Dr L is being extremely non judgmental about the choice of where surgery should be performed. Today, I told him we were leaning towards remaining here and I did not feel any support for that plan. Instead, he started telling me that we had to balance what was good for the family with what was best for Wren and that he knew we would do what was best for Wren not just the family.

WTF?

Honestly, I felt he was "wink wink" telling me to consider Stanford but I may well be losing the plot. I had very little sleep last night [combo of Joshua snoring, Wren teething and neurotic insomnia] so I am not at my most rational.

My latest plan is to pose as Solomon and suggest we have half of Wren's heart operated on in Seattle and the other half in Stanford. Perhaps that will shock the True Cardiologist into taking a stance in this sea of unknowns, controversy and speculation.

No comments: