Sunday, August 17, 2008

No news from Stanford, yet

I am still waiting to hear from Stanford. Dr Lewin said he would call again on Tuesday if we had not received an opinion by then.

I have been getting a lot of information about valve options and feel I understand the issues a bit more. It is a lot about balancing the risks of dangerous bleeds on Warfarin vs the risk of mechanical failure of the homograft (animal product) which typically occurs after 5+ years (but can be widely varying). Another factor is the time it would take for Wren to need a valve replacement due to outgrowing the largest valve they can insert in his aorta at the size it is now.

An aside: we received the bill from the cath a few weeks ago and it cost $8,519.

Wren still has the glue on his hip from the bandage they stuck over the cath site. They said to let him stand under the shower to remove it but he has bathed daily for over a week and it has still not come off. He is very sensitive about it because it hurt when I removed the bandage (which was glued on). He cries and says "no, glue, all done" if I touch it.

Anyone have any tricks on how to remove the glue?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you can ask for adhesive remover? Or, is that not strong enough? I know that when we left the hospital, they gave us a bunch of those to rub off the glue.

Shannon said...

Adhesive remover! That's what we need. Why didn't we get any adhesive remover?

Erika said...

I was going to say adhesive remover, but Jennifer beat me to it. :-) I think rubbing alcohol works, too. Sammy's post-Fontan tape stickies were around FOREVER. I'd try to sneak some off during bathtime, but he'd have none of it.

Shannon said...

Well, I tried rubbing alcohol but it didn't budge one bit. Then I tried nail polish remover (you can imagine how that went down) and it wiped right off with the lightest of rubbing.

Woo hoo!