Saturday, July 12, 2008

Relationship Economics for 6 Year Olds

This morning at breakfast Frost announced he needed to invite X to his party too. Now X is not someone with whom he is friends. They have never had a playdate. I wondered why?

"Because he always gives money for birthday presents. He gave D $20 and I need $45 to give Alex."

Uh oh, I think, but I act nochalant so I don't scare off this candour.

"Why do you need to give Alex $45?"

"To join his club"

"What's the club called?"

"Well, actually, its TEN CLUBS. First, he said I had to pay him $10 to join his club. Then he said it would be $20 for a few clubs. Then he said $45 for 10 clubs."

"What do you do in the clubs?"

"I dunno. Like, have fun. Do spy stuff. Parker is in the club. Alex said Parker gave him $50 to be in the club. Maybe Rowan is in the clubs too."

"Oh, I see. Can't you be in the club free? Most kids make clubs free?"

"No, Alex says I have to pay him that money so I need money for my birthday?"

"So, if I give you $50 you'll give it to Alex?" [I am still incredulous at my child's credulity]

[Frost senses a trap]

"Well, maybe not."

"Why don't you start a club yourself with Elias?"

"YES! Then I can charge Alex $50 to join!"

"Or, you can make your club free but tell him that you should be in his club free too."

"Yeah... maybe" [Frost is not convinced Alex will buy this deal.]

I leave it there. One day I shall have to explain the term entrepreneur. Meanwhile, I am wondering how to set up a trust fund to prevent Frost giving Alex all his savings when he turns 18.

No comments: