Friday, June 20, 2008

Bedtime with Wren

Nursing Wren to sleep is one of my favorite moments in the day. His head smells sweet and soft and while his belly snuggles up close his hands flail around examining my face, hair, pajamas and the blanket with active curiosity. As he lies on the bed preparing to go to sleep he looks at the ceiling and comments on the stars. Usually, he just says STAR but tonight he said "BIG star" a few times, noticing the large stars spread in our ceiling galaxy.

Tonight, he was chatty at bedtime too. He nursed a bit until I inadvertently knocked a book off the bed with my foot. He stopped and looked at me intently. I said "The book fell of, bump". "Bump" he said and touched his head. "Yes, you bumped your head earlier, but this was the book that fell bump". He nursed again for a moment then rolled onto his back.

"Bump?"
"Yes, the book went bump"
"Book, gone"
"Yes, it fell"
"Dada GONE"
"Dada is eating dinner" (although he was playing with Wren before bedtime, and reading books)

Wren nursed a bit more while I sang "Twinkle Twinkle little star" as a lullaby. Eventually he slowed down and let go and I said, "night night".

"Tinkle!" he said.
"Twinkle Twinkle little star"
"Tinkle. Tinkle" he added.
"OK, night night" I said, sitting up.
"MORE MUK!!!" he squawked

This little routine continued until I put him into his bed and he rolled on his side and is quiet.

He is very good at bedtime and smells wonderful - all warm and fragrant and plump.

No comments: