Thursday, August 2, 2007

The urge to travel

Wren's mobility continues to grow in leaps and bounds (or crawls and hops). He moves with increasing speed and has started to learn where things are in the house - following the same path a number of times to find things he likes. One common route is through the corridor to Frost's room. We have started keeping the door shut but it is often open and he crawls like a little steam train to get onto the Lego-strewn floor before we capture him.

He also likes to crawl through the kitchen, explore the heating vent in the floor, and to the cat food bowls. He picks up the cat food and drops the little "pebbles" on the floor.

We need to find somewhere to put it out of reach.

Even more exciting: today Wren learned to pull himself up from the ground. He pulled himself up to standing at the coffee table, in the bathtub, holding the legs of the high chair and at the couch. This is a new and dangerous endeavor because he can now fall from a greater height. He slipped while standing at the coffee table and hit the side of his eye on the table getting a bruise. He let go while holding the high chair and nearly fell.

Tomorrow, I will post the first standing shot of Wren - holding on with one hand.

This evening we went down to swim at Magnuson park. Mum took some photos of Frost swimming with an inflatable boat I bought at Bartells in spring. He had a grand time with it. He has started to become interested in swimming and didn't lament when I suggested swimming lessons in a few weeks time. He wants to pass the swim test so he can swim in the deep water. I am hoping this does not happen soon and its not likely but he is very keen to be released from the murky shallows of the non-swimmer zone. I really wish the lake swimming areas had a slightly deeper area for partial swimmers. Its not that fun wading around by the pebbly weedy duck feathered (poopy) shore and as I dragged Frost in the boat I too looked longingly at the deeper dark water where the serious lap swimmers and teenage girls with braces frollicked.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Hi Shannon,

I have been reading about Wren for some time now, but I don't think I have posted. My name is Samantha, and I am also a heart mom.

I am laughing about the cat food because we had a very similar situation with Micah with the dog food and water. He would empty the entire food bowl and then "swim" in the water. It was a giant mess! Anyway, we have since moved the food and water into the laundry room, where he knows it is, but for some reason has not gone in to cause mischief.

At least with a cat, you could put it up higher, maybe???

Thank you for sharing your journey with Wren.

Take care,
Samantha

Shannon said...

Samantha
Thanks for your ideas. It is really funny to see them getting their own ideas and I am just glad that Wren hasn't decided to swim in the water bowl,....yet.

He is giving me a hard time today with poor naps and standing up in the crib. Still, whenever I complain it is in my mind that it is wonderful that Wren is doing so well that he is able to develop these new abilities.

Thanks for reading our blog.

Shannon