Monday, August 6, 2007

Oh for a Kayak...


Yesterday Joshua and I went out for a date-lunch while Mum watched Wren and Frost. It was wonderful. We ate lunch at Aqua Verde and then, on impulse, went out for a kayak for an hour. It was the first time I had been in a kayak although I have done a lot of canoeing.

At first it felt very unstable, especially with all the large wake from the armada of boats and yachts passing too and fro for seafair. We managed to make it across the channel a couple of times and I loved being on the water at last. At a result I am checking out library books on kayaking and Josh and I are making plans to buy a double kayak and a canoe to set to the rivers at some undetermined future point. If you have any experience in local canoeing or kayaking, especially daily rentals, please give us some advice.

Meanwhile, the backdrop to all my days is the excessive early waking of Baby Wren. This morning, I confess, I did not like my baby. I loved him, sure. But how much can you like someone who gets you up at 4.30am and is grumpy then takes three and half hours of naps during the day while you suffer the ravages of sleep deprivation? the answer is "not much". Oh, and this happens almost every day (5.15am is more common). Mum saved me yet again by taking Wren for a dawn walk and allowing me another hour of sleep. His nights before 5am are much better. HE goes to sleep at 7pm and nurses around 2am but then wants to be up for the day at the next waking. It is very hard especially as Frost is going to bed at 9pm and I conk out shortly afterwards. There is not more than a sliver of adult time going on here.

Today, Frost has been playing rokenbok with a set we bought at a garage sale yesterday. It is great to see him enjoying something other than knights, castles and lego. He says "rokenbok rocks". I also enjoy rokenbok although our play could constitute a personality test. I enjoy sorting balls and challenging myself to organize the balls into different "dumps" using my truck. Frost is keen to demolish things and smash into and obstruct my truck with his own. Josh teases by obstructing my truck but also shows an interest in "how things work" and how to obtain balls most easily. He does nto persist in sorting them once the functionality is determined.

Wren is crawling so much that gates are an urgent need for me. Joshua objects, wanting "free flow through our house". Joshua also wants a family bed so we are diverging in our parenting styles. Since I am extremely sleep deprived I am not managing this diversion very skilfully and am becoming stubborn and non-communicative in my views (aka desperate and clinging to my current theory).

"he is just too active now" says mum. "He got from here [kitchen] to the back door in two minutes".

We went to REI today and I bought some yoga pants. It is wonderful to have something that maketh my fatteth self appear less robust. Long live Prana. Now if I can do some yoga at 5am it might help my state of mind.

This week ahead is going to be Playdate Week (and onwards) for Frost. If anyone wants to send their child over for a playdate or is willing to have Frost over for one... drop me an email. I have been slack about arranging them but have my phonebook out and am making plans (plots) to keep everyone happy and attain an afternoon nap in the process.

The picture up top is Wren and I at Jubilee Farm last week.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Hi Shannon.
I hear your plea for sleep...I too am incredibly sleep deprived! I don't think that I have slept an entire night straight through for at least 5 years now...ugh! I certainly hope that you get some much needed z's really soon. Hang in there, I am sure that baby Wren will decide to change his sleeping habits once again.
Take care.

Wyndi said...

we have some inflatable ones that my parents gave us. Steven and I used to rent at the same place and see the turtles there! it is so fun! I really miss going out on the water!

Wyndi said...

the evite site won't let me reply it thinks i am someone else and wants me to change their reply so I wanted to let you know that steven and I will be there and will bring food:)It will be the three of us :)

Shannon said...

Thanks Wyndi
Jessy has had the same problem. It thinks she is "seattleCHD" the list name and can't add her own.

I will send you your own evite to reply so everyone else knows you're coming!

I am hoping we have some sun soon!