Tuesday, August 14, 2007

8 months old today

Wren is eight months old today. He is eating rice cakes in crumbs, bits of carrot and he even had an arrowroot cookie yesterday (a la Joshua).

He likes to squeak through a baby whistle and stand up on everything. He also likes to hold long thin objects while he clambers about and gets very angry/upset if you take it away. Today, his long thing choices have been: a sharpie, a chopstick, a ballpoint pen, a playmobil lance and a magic wand.

He is now sqwarking at bedtime. His sleep is still fragmented - typically he is in bed by 6.45pm, wakes around midnight yelling his head off. We try and ignore this (ie, I try and sleep through it) or Joshua comes in and says soothing things. He wakes again around 3-4am and nurses. I put him back in his crib or sometimes fall asleep nursing and he wakes again an hour or so later (4-5am). This second time he used to stay awake for the day but now he tends to go back to sleep if nursed a bit and wakes for the day around 6am. If not for the fragmented early mornings I wouldn't complain as much but its pretty touch and go after 3am and I am still very tired even though I am asleep by 10pm almost every night (9.30pm being common!)

We have quit cloth diapering and are on Seventh Generation #3s.

Now the big news is that Frost had an echocardiogram today due to teh family association of CHDs. We just heard from the pediatrician that his echo was totally normal! This is a great relief. I am happy!

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Aren't these babies so much fun??? The attitude they have when they want something is one of such determination! I know what you mean about the long items being carried around--SCARY!

Yeah for Frost! I am also a bit nervous about my older ones...they have had an EKG but no echo...we just changed cards, so I will be requesting an echo of them just to ease my troubled mind.

I am sorry you are still not getting good sleep. I am not either, so I am right there with you...begging for my latte in the morning to just get me moving a little bit!

Take care!
Samantha

Shannon said...

Hi Samantha
I just looked at your blog and will have to start following it. It must be even harder with a bigger family - I am not doing too well juggling the needs of two of them and by age 1 I am sure your little guy is even more active.

Right now, Wren is crawling around doing his morning quest for floor bitsies. He even found one piece of catfood left over from the catfood move.

I am sorry your sleep is STILL bad. I am about to have my morning coffee and it is sooooo important.

I hope you get echo's done with the new card. Actually, our first card said get an echo and the second said get a card appointment. I just told my ped we wanted an echo and she did the referral. I know its not uncommon to find CHDs in high schoolers who seem to be unaffected so I didn't think it was overdoing it. Like you, I wanted to know (and ease my mind).

Anyway, nice to meet you virtually.
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the normal echo, what a tremendous relief!

Wren is doing so well, it's amazing to me how quickly and "normally" he's developing.

If you figure out how to get moe sleep, do share, it's one of my major challenges...

Jane