Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Evil, evil, evil iron

At the clinic visit yesterday Dr Lewin suggested we stop the prescribed Iron Sulfate because it is often irritating to the stomach. He thought that might help Wren sleep. Clutching at straws we gave Wren no iron yesterday.

Last night he slept for EIGHT AND A HALF HOURS WITHOUT WAKING AT ALL!!!!!!!! (I am enjoying those exclammation points.) He slept 9pm till 5.30am then nursed and napped a few times till 7am when we got up. He is now very hungry today but wakes from naps cooing not yelling.

I bet if they took his blood pressure again it would be lower today. Of course, this may be a fluke and he could start waking all night again this evening but I suspect not. It all makes sense.

The really bad sleep started after the last pediatrician appointment when he had all the shots and still had a cold. We chalked it up to shots and cough. However, instead of improving sleep has gone downhill. Before that appointment I had tapered off his iron and he had been sleeping well. Because it was still low that day (29.1) Dr Levitt suggested we keep iron up a bit longer. She proposed Tri-vi-sol with iron or using the rest of the prescription we had. I just used the prescription since I already have tri-vi-sol without iron.

I feel so bad for Wren who must have been feeling bad for a while now with an upset or sore stomach.

Well, the experiment will continue tonight but these are my joyous initial results.

ALSO
We found out yesterday that Dr Lewin is acting Director of Cardiology. The current director has stepped down to concentrate on research. That means Dr Lewin is not working as Director of Echocardiography at the moment.

3 comments:

Wyndi said...

we are so happy that all of you got some good rest!!!! yeah!! go wren:)

The Special Zipper said...

This is interesting Shannon .. great actually and I hope it continues.

I am jealous you may be out to six month cardiology visits soon .. great stuff.

I have at time wondered about the iron supplement Connor is given. (He needs it due to the medications lowering his iron levels .. not sure if that is the same reason for Wren).

What was the thought on keeping the iron levels at the correct levels or did I read or misread the post and the answer was actually staring at me?

Shannon said...

Wren needs iron because he became a bit anemic after surgery and the cath. Since he is now 4 months we have been told his iron levels should begin to rise (or have bottomed out).

We were told to hold off any right now or use a mild over the counter iron supplement like tri-vi-sol with iron. I don't know what kind that is? My naturopath also recommended a form of iron (La Santa - ammonium citrate) which is liquid and supposed to cause fewer stomach upsets for kids.

Shannon