Thursday, March 8, 2007

Spilt milk

This evening I came to the realization that I will probably have to throw away all the breastmilk that is filling the freezer. I have pints of the stuff from the first 2 weeks of Wren's life when he was not allowed to take anything by mouth and then received tube feeds for a while. Now, Wren isn't taking bottles at all. I guess we could start him taking bottles occasionally - Josh has mentioned the idea - but I could always make a bottle for special occasions.

We have - I am not exaggerating - 2 weeks+ supply of milk pumped 3 hourly with at least 6 ounces a time (often more). So, do the math (I can't figure ounces but its a lot). It takes up half our freezer space.

Even though I know it was necessary to establish milk supply and it wasn't essential once he could nurse it feels sad to throw it all away.

Perhaps I can do it incrementally.. week by week as it reaches its useby date.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could donate it? - Josephine

Anonymous said...

Yes! I'm certain that PICU's near you have milk banks or babies in need of breastmilk that their mothers can't provide. Don't throw it away, donate it!

Shannon said...

I had a quick look and couldn't see any places you can donate here. All the links are to commercial Milk Banks where you have to be pre-screened for all medical conditions and be on no medication (I was on some medication post-partum but it was cleared for being okay with breastfeeding).

It sounds like a good idea though.

Shannon said...

Oh, and for the other one I don't qualify because I have:

"been in the United Kingdom for more than 3 months or in Europe for more than 5 years between 1980-1996"

Mad cow concerns?

Andrea said...

Hi Shannon,
I had the same thing happen when I brought Drew home from the hospital. We were there for ten weeks and every morning I'd bring in my milk that I had pumped overnight. They would store it and have it available to feed Drew. So when we were discharged they gave me a giant box full of breastmilk! We had to buy another freezer! And then the same thing happened. We couldn't use it all up and ended up having to throw it away. I made my husband do it when I wasn't home so I wouldn't be sad.