Friday, March 2, 2007

Little squeals and grabs

Today Wren is hanging onto things. If I lay a blanket over him he grasps it with both of his little hands and clings to it. When he cries he lets go and his arms fly up in the air. We went shopping and the whole way there he hung onto a burp cloth. I think he might need his own little blanket.

Another thing he is doing occasionally is squealing. Its most peculiar. He will make a kind of yelpy squeak. His usual talking is still grunts and little burbles and hoots and he makes a lot of chesty noises.

He likes to swat at his toys when he's lying under the gymini but he seldom captures them. It is quite exciting for him and he breathes fast while he's doing it and kicks his legs. Tummy time is not so much fun. He can push himself up but he complains fairly shortly afterwards and cries if I leave him even 5 minutes on the mat. However, he does like to lie on his tummy on the couch which slopes down a bit and makes it easier for him.

I have been reading Frost's baby journal to myself and find I was doing all kinds of new mommy stuff with Frost that I am neglecting in Wren. I was reading him books, singing songs and playing nursery rhymes. Got to get going on that again. I read Wren Peek a BOO book (the Peek a Moo one) and he liked it a lot. He likes looking at leaves against the window just as much though so I shan't beat myself up about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that carrying your baby in a sling or front pack counts as "tummy time?" The purpose of tummy time is to strengthen the core muscles so they can control their head. Something I didn't know when Annadora and Isaak were babies. I just learned it recently in Mothering magazine.

--
Tracy

Shannon said...

Tracy
I did not know that. Its interesting but I wonder why they feel its equivalent. I mean, Wren is mainly upright in the sling so while his neck is growing stronger all around its not the back of the neck.

Someone in our baby group reported that there are people who feel that babies are losing brain development because of lack of tummy time - apparently the back of the neck connects to the... thigh bone connects to the leg bone connects to the ... etc.

However, I was also thinking about third world countries where most of the babies are. I never saw people put a baby down on their tummy except at sleeping time occasionally.

Shannon said...

OOOH.. I have done some reading.

Tummy time is for three things: one, avoiding the flat head syndrome when babies are left on their backs all day

and

two: to help build upper body strength, lackign when babies are left "contained" in swings, bouncies and carseats all day.

and

three: For actual face down time. Needed to develop muscles for crawling, back of neck etc.

Wren needs tummy time for number 3 only. He is okay on the other two from the sling.