Sunday, February 11, 2007

Is this the answer?



After my first night of absolutely almost no dairy (rather than a little bit of cheese or icecream here and there) Wren slept 4 hours, then almost 3 hours then 2 hours. It was wonderful. I woke up at 1.40am and looked at him and he probably wouldn't have completely woken up then if he was a crib-in-own-room baby but he was grunting and gnawing his hands in his sleep so I knew he was hungry and nursed him back into his deep sleep (the next 3 hours).

Unbelievable.

Also, I didn't carry or nurse him to sleep at first (he was just super-fussy and exhausted). Instead I calmed him and put him in his wedge in the dark bedroom and hung out with him a bit. He fussed then just dozed and woke every few minutes so I left him there. Every time I checked on him he was dozing or looking around the room quietly. When I wanted to go to bed I nursed him and he slept like a log for 4 hours.

I wonder whether he is used to lying there on his own from being in the hospital so long, not being able to be picked up. We used to soothe him in the wedge with a binky and singing.

I am going to try this again tomorrow and hope it works. It was the most delightful night.

Oh, Frost started to feel left out of the family bed so he came along sometime in the night and slept on his little bed in our room. During the night I woke and Wren was grunting, Josh was snoring and Frost was having a dream conversation of unformed words and rolling overs. I felt like a sleep fugitive - I was so well rested from the 4 hour stretch that I didn't even feel tired and I was surrounded by this sleeping cacophony. I threw a pillow over my head and went back to sleep.

2 comments:

Wyndi said...

I hope you all have another good nights rest:)

Shannon said...

Thanks Wyndi, we did! Its a miracle.