Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Freakish kind of normal

Today was a moment of calm. Wren and I had a good day and didn't do anything momentous other than the laundry. He slept a lot (but not in a worrying way) and did some smiling. He just seemed a bit more predictable in his behaviour and I even took him for a walk to the bookshop (in the sling) and he slept all the way.

Last night wasn't a great night of sleep but I can't be bothered to go into it. Suffice to say I managed to remain in good humour despite stepping in cat vomit in the dark, Josh voted not to move to the spare room when the ship of sleep was sinking and I was grumpy in the dawning until my cup of decaf coffee.

There are, of course, always some new freakish things going on. our rats are both afflicted with massive tumors and lumber around the cage dragging great pink protrusions. We had one undergo surgery to remove the first tumour but they returned. This is a very common problem for domestic rats of their age. It hasn't affected their behaviour one bit and all I have read says that they are not in great pain nonetheless they are getting very bent out of shape and the time has come to have them "killed". We talked to Frost about it and he said that we should have them "put to sleep" instead. I think I explained to him that this is what people say but its the same thing as dead. He prefers to stick with the euphemism.

Wren will be 7 weeks tomorrow. I'll post more about him then.

No comments: