Monday, August 16, 2010

The Dishwasher

This morning there were piles of dishes heaped up by the sink, so I packed and turned on the dishwashers.

This has caused something of a ruckus.

The maid / housekeeper came in around 7am and opened her eyes wide.  When it was packed she asked if I knew how to turn it on.  I pressed ON and Start but nothing happened.

After a while she had the idea that the power outlet was turned off.

I turned the dishwasher on and it worked.

This was something of a surprise to the people in the kitchen at the time.

Since then, staff keep coming in from the office to make tea.  When they ask for a mug, Irene tells them I put the dishwasher on and they shrug and they laugh and make a funny face.     There are no mugs in the cupboard.  People are drinking tea out of small tea-cups.

Apparently here everything is hand-washed for you and I have broken the system by trying to do some work using a labor-saving device.

No comments: