Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The narrative of life

Wren is incredibly chatty thesedays and he has me in stitches with her commentary on life. This evening we had a rare thunder storm and a particularly loud clap of thunder sounded while Wren, Frost AND I were in the bath together. Frost and I were talking about lightening and thinking that we should get out the bath in case it STRUCK the house and then us. Even though we were laughing about it we scared ourselves so leapt out of the bath. Wren was very confused and kept asking "why we get out?" "Is thunder big wood fall?" "Why we get out, thunder?" It took an hour to get it out of his system.

Meanwhile he loves to torment Frost. He chases him around the house saying "I PINCH YOU" and holding out his tiny little fingers in a threatening pinch from which Frost runs, screaming. They run around the house using furniture to block and scramble over. Add to this picture that Wren is usually naked or shouting "why I got no diper, can't play with no diper!" He has no diaper because we have been half-heartedly potty training him again and he does 3-4 pees in the potty daily. If I put a diaper on him he will generally use that out of convenience. Potty training is not ideal because he will have 3 or so false-alarm trips to the loo in addition to those successful ones.

A few days ago we went for a walk and Wren found this mini-garbage can. Its one of the new 'small' bins that you can choose if you produce less waste. Wren was thrilled. He said that he had found "small garbage can for kids".

His favorite game is now zooming cars. On the weekend we went down to Tacoma for Sarah's birthday and Wren spent a long while in the garage zooming hotwheels cars. Half the time they roll and half they time they kind of tosses them.

Drawing the Family
Yesterday Wren started drawing people. First person he drew was Daddy. I don't have that picture yet because its up on the wall in Wren's room, and he is asleep. I asked him to draw some more people and here are his drawings and what he said about them:

"I drawed Heather. She is look like MONSTER" He laughed a lot about this. She looks like a monster because Wren tried to draw her teeth.

"I drawed Mum. I draw numbers and I drawed Mum. I drawed what you have on that big head - a hair!"

"I drawed Granny and Roy. I drawed her hair!"

The drawing of Frost. "I draw his arm. I draw his other arm. I draw his eye. I draw his eyeball. He has his own hair. He has SPIKES. He has leg. I draw his other leg."


While we were in Australia Frost draw his own cartoon warning of all the things Wren should not do. Here it is. The sign says "THINGS WREN SHOLD NOT DO. KICK ME. BITE ME. HIDE MY STUFF. TELL ON ME. MESS UP MY STUFF. PULL MY HAIR."
As an elder child myself, I feel for him.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

That should not to picture is AWESOME!! What a cute kid! I didn't know they made mini garbage cans...fancy!

Glad to see Wren is doing so great!!