Saturday, March 21, 2009

Registration Week

I noticed it was open registration for co-op preschools today and decided I should see if we can sign Wren up for Pre-3s this fall. I am still hoping I can find some paid employment by then but who really knows and Open Enrollment waits for no parent.

I arrived and received a lottery ticket. The spaces available in various co-ops were posted on a board. There were 15 spaces total in the 5 preschool programs I was considering. By the time my number (514) was called 100 people at least had gone in so I was very happy to get a place at Wedgwood. I think it was the last one.

We also waitlisted Wren for Victory Heights Pre-3s. I think he is 4th or 5th on their waitlist which generally moves a bit over summer

Meanwhile, I have submitted Frost's registration and school choice form for Seattle Public Schools. It required me to list at least 3 schools so I put down Lowell, Thornton Creek, View Ridge and Jane Addams K-8. We expect him to attend Lowell although he is not too excited right now because he wants to go to the same school as his current classmates. It is hard to explain to him that the public and private schools they all go to will be different - determined by residence, lottery, disposable income and other secrets in the complicated algorithm of Seattle Public Schools and parent priority.

Next job on my list is the Tax Return and Packing.

1 comment:

Gina and the Gang said...

Yikes...that's a lot of school talk. I'm a kindergarten teacher in California, and not much of that even made sense to me! GOOD LUCK!!