Friday, January 9, 2009

Wren had the shot(s)

Nurse Penny came to our house yesterday and gave Wren his Synagis shots. He weighs 27lbs 9oz which means he needs 1.8ml which is two shots. After reading Jeanette's (Grace's Mom from our support group's) articles on pain management I am asking our pediatrician for a prescription for the topical pain reliever to minimize discomfit during the shots. They are particularly large ones.

The Synagis protocol takes about 30 minutes. They have to weigh the child, check vitals, draw the vials, administer and then wait 15 minutes in case of a very very rare anaphylactic reaction. Wren had no reaction other than to check it was "all done!" Then he was happy. Last night he gave his bandaid to dinosaur at bathtime. New Dinosaur is Very Long Dinosaur and since the bandaid had a little blood on it from the shot "new dinosaur has owie on neck. Has BLOOD!!!!" The "has BLOOOOOD" was repeated a few times until he was "all better".

Do it like a crane
Wren really impressed me this morning. Not only did he sleep through the night for the first time ever... (8pm till 6.15am) but he helped himself to a drink from a sports bottle by his bed. When I went in in the morning he told me "I get it [the water] like a crane" and demonstrated with his arm how he reached over the rails to get it. I shall have to leave it there in future and hope he doesn't splash it around the crib. He always makes sure snuggle-bunny gets a drink when he does.

Mommy is in Therapy
I went to see 'my' therapist this morning. She is a buddhist 'psychotherapist' so we focus on ways of being and identifying what is arising. I haven't been to see her for over a year and it was nice to pick up again. My hope in going to see her is that I can figure out how to get from being a full-time mommy to having some of my own needs met by working part-time. My homework for the next few weeks is to do "open-ended" research into local non-profits with an international focus which is where I would like to work next. She helped me identify lots of reasons why I find it hard to start AND some ways to overcome them by making this into a research project [=happy and exciting] rather than a test of self-promotion [=bad and tiring].

Playgroup for Wren
I am very excited to have some offers of playmates for Wren. I am going to see if we can work out a time to play with some friends from our heart support group and perhaps a couple of toddlers we knew from our old playgroup. Wren is not going to know what to do with children under 4 years old!

No comments: