Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Crows have friends too

While I often write about Wren, Frost is (of course) also very interesting and entertaining. Here are some snapshots of Frost at age 6 and a third:

1) Frost likes to be funny. His sense of humor is not always well timed. Yesterday I went out the back door to put out the garbage, carrying Wren. It was very cold and I was wearing flip-flops. When we got around to the front I knocked on the door, asking Frost to let me in. He replied "sorry, I can't let you in because I can't find Mummy!" I said "Frost, it is Mummy, let me in". He replied again "wait, I am going to go and ask Mummy." There is silence and some thudding as he goes out the back door and comes to the front porch. I was not laughing.

2) Tactical Poverty: The school is doing a Trick or Treat for Unicef fundraiser. Each child has a little box. Now that Frost can read he has learned that 9c can feed a child for a day. The flipside is that he feels it is very cheap to be a poor person and people will feed you. When I mention that we don't have enough money to buy something he wants he says "well, why don't we just fly to Africa and be poor for a while and we will get all that Unicef money?"

3) The meaning of things: Frost is learning lots of new words. Sometimes, I stop and check he understands the meaning of word he is using. This morning it was "distracts". I asked him what distracts means and he said it means that someone does something so that you notice while their friend does something else you don't like. I think this meaning comes from the theme of pickpockets in a Tintin book we are reading. I explained that it can have a more general meaning of "capture your attention".
I gave as an example: "That noisy crow distracts me from driving".
"Well," said Frost "that's the same thing because Crows have friends too!"

4) To dress or not to dress: Frost needs a lot of encouragement to become and remain clothed. He prefers to walk around naked. When he gets home from school he seldom remains fully clothed and whenever the doorbell rings there is a frantic rush to the bedroom to find new shirt and pants. This morning Frost came to me wrapped in a blanket. He explained:

There are two reasons I prefer blankets to clothes: 1)Blankets are warmer and 2) Blankets are portable like clothes.

So saying, he wandered off trailing 6 ft of blanket behind him.

No comments: